Dongles for MacBook Pro "headless desktop"
Presentation by Peter Roll at June 2018 General Meeting - This is how Peter solved using his MacBook Pro in a stand as his desktop computer when at home.
The setup is as follows:
- 27-in. Apple Cinema Display (2011): mini displayport + USB-A 2.0 + camera + audio
- Lots of other USB 2.0 & 3.0 devices (Time-Machine, HDs, flash drives)
- daily use as desktop computer, in a stand
- occasional use for presentations
- how to turn on the MacBook Pro without taking it out of its stand?
- what dongles to get to utilize the MBP USB-C ports?
Overview & Conclusion
These are the items and processes used to solve the problem:
- CHOETECH 4K 60Hz Mini Displayport Adapter with Type-C charging port. https://www.choetech.com/product/usb-c-to-mini-displayport-with-pd-charging-port-4k-60hz.html Amazon $18.99
- WAVLINK 7-port USB 3.1 Type-C Hub; 6 USB C + 6 USB-A ports; Aluminum Design with 5V/6A Supply Adapter. Amazon $24.99
- ANKER 3-Port USB 3.0 Aluminum Portable Data Hub + GB Ethernet Port Amazon $26.99 Discontinued by Anker, but still available from Amazon and other vendors; many other manufacturers supply cheaper version of similar adapters — see Amazon link above.
My Road Dongles for presentations:
CHOETECH USB-C to HDMI Adapter (4K@60Hz) Thunderbolt 3 compatible at Amazon for $26.99.